What are lab-created diamonds?
Lab-created diamonds or cultured diamonds are grown in highly controlled laboratory conditions using ground breaking technological processes that emulate the Earth’s natural developing process where diamonds form in the mantle of the Earth. The resulting diamonds are physically and chemically identical to mined diamonds since lab-created diamonds are made of the same material; pure carbon, crystallised in isotropic 3D form.
Lab-created diamonds aren’t new, in fact people have been experimenting with them for centuries, but the recent technologies advancements have helped us perfect the resulting diamonds. Nowadays, the resulting diamonds are just like the natural ones but better since they are made in a fairest and ethical way, decreasing the conflict among the communities.
Our lab-created diamonds are 100% conflict-free, plus they are optically and chemically identical to natural diamonds.
How are lab-created diamonds grown?
Lab-created diamonds are grown from a tiny carbon seed placed into a chamber of heat and pressure that mimics the natural method of diamond formation. Once the diamond has matured (approximately six to ten weeks), it is then cut and polish. Certified and renowned labs - that also verify natural diamonds - will grade the lab-created diamonds.
At Sacet we grow our diamonds with an advanced technological process called Chemical Vapor Deposition or CVD, a method by which diamonds can be grown from a hydrocarbon gas.
This process uses ultra-pure carbon-rich gasses in a controlled chamber. These gases, a mixture of methane and hydrogen with a ratio of 1:99, are then ionised into chemically active radicals inside the growth chamber. These atoms will then fall onto a diamond substrate and build up layers, getting, as a result, a rough diamond. This process usually takes between six and ten weeks.
There are different versions of CVD, some of them are:
- Ultrahigh vacuum CVD (UHVCVD)
- Low-pressure CVD (LPCVD)
- Microwave Plasma Vapor Deposition (MPCVD)
- Plasma-enhanced chemical vapour deposition (PECVD)
Why should you choose a Sacet lab-created diamond?
We work together with the best and most technically advanced diamond labs who share our core values: People. Planet. Profit.
We aim to transform the jewellery industry and by choosing to create stunning jewellery with ethical, conflict-free lab-created diamonds we are already ahead of the game.
At Sacet, we offer the best, ethically sourced, lab-created diamonds available.
- Eco-Friendly: lab-created diamonds are grown without negatively affecting native communities or the Earth. The use of water and the amount of land disturbed is also significantly lower during the creation of a lab-created diamond. For example, 18.5 litres are used to create a 1-carat against the 126 gallons of water used for every 1-carat natural diamond.
- Quality: Cultured diamonds have the same physical, chemical and optical properties as natural diamonds. Our lab-created diamonds are Type IIa, the purest form of diamond. This type is harder and more brilliant and only 2% of natural diamonds are of this quality.
- Value: another benefit of lab-created diamonds is that they cost up to 30% - 40% less than natural diamonds.
Do lab-created diamonds come with a certificate?
Yes, they do. At SACET you can choose between an SGL certificate and our exclusive certificates done by a skilled and trained gemologist.
What is the difference between a diamond certificate and a valuation certificate?
A valuation certificate will establish the value of the item, mainly for insurance purposes. On the contrary, a diamond certificate will evaluate the specifications and characteristics of the diamond.